Robot Inspector Certification
The Robot Inspector for FIRST Robotics Competition is a Key Volunteer position. Robot Inspectors perform mandatory robot inspections and weigh-ins to ensure compliance with robot design and construction rules. Determine inspection outcome decisions (pass/fail). Work under the directions of the Lead Robot Inspector. Provide general technical support for teams by helping to resolve issues with their robots. This is a physically active role.
*Must sign a Conflict of Interest and Disclosure Statement prior to start of service.
- Perform robot inspections and weigh-ins
- Complete inspection paperwork
- Participate in deliberations regarding inspection decision issues
- Assist with breakdown of robot inspection/weigh-in areas
- If affiliated with a team, cannot make decisions about or inspect affiliated team’s robot
Experience and Skills Needed
- FIRST experience not required; team experience preferred
- Must be post-high school or equivalent (minimum age of 18 at time of service)
- Exceptions may be granted by event Volunteer Coordinators after review and approval by FIRST Headquarters
- Mechanical aptitude required
- Ability to follow and enforce electrical wiring diagrams
- Ability to follow and enforce pneumatics diagrams
- Strong interpersonal/communication skills
- Ability to collaborate with others
- Ability to move about the facility, and stand for long periods of time
- Strong assessment skills
- Ability to work as a member of a team
- Pass online Robot Inspector certification
Volunteer Time Commitment
Note: Event schedules vary. Please check the event schedule and talk to your Volunteer Coordinator for detailed information on when you are expected to arrive. Volunteers should arrive on site 15-20 minutes prior to the start of every shift to allow time to check in at the Volunteer Registration table.
Lead Robot Inspector conducts training onsite and provides guidance during the competition.
Reporting Relationships and Supervision
- Direct Supervision: Lead Robot Inspector
- On-Site Guidance: Volunteer Coordinator