Judges for FIRST Robotics Competition select team award recipients through interaction with teams, review documentation regarding team background information to familiarize judges with teams, and serve as role models for the students. Judges have the ability to positively impact quality of event and have an opportunity to coach students on career paths.
*Must sign a Conflict of Interest and Disclosure Statement prior to start of service.
- Attend pre-event Judge Training Meeting
- Read the Judge Manual
- Learn and understand award criteria and selection process
- Wear provided Judge shirt and safety glasses when in the arena and pits
- Respond and comply to email requests from the Judge Advisor
- Interview and observe teams in the Pit, on the playing field and other areas
- Review team background literature
- Participate on Judge Panel to decide team/student awards recipients
- Write short awards scripts extolling merits of winning teams
- Assist with award presentations to teams
- Must disclose any relationships with FIRST Robotics Competition teams at the event and must follow the directions given by the Judge Advisor
Experience and Skills Needed
- FIRST experience not required
- Must be at least 23 years of age at time of service
- Exceptions may be granted by event Volunteer Coordinators and/or Judge Advisors after review and approval by FIRST Headquarters
- Strong assessment skills
- Strong critical thinking skills
- Strong interpersonal/communication skills
- Ability to work as a member of a team
- Ability to move about the facility – Volunteers with limited mobility and wheelchair users welcome
Volunteer Time Commitment
Note: Event schedules vary. Please check the event schedule and talk to your Judge Advisor for detailed information on when you are expected to arrive. Volunteers should arrive on site 15-20 minutes prior to the start of every shift to allow time to check in at the Volunteer Registration table.
Training is provided by the Judge Advisor prior to the competition. Typically, this training takes place via teleconference or in-person prior to the event. The Judge Advisor will email the Judge Handbook to all Judges 2-4 weeks prior to the competition.
Reporting Relationships and Supervision
- Direct Supervision and On-Site Guidance: Judge Advisor
- Support provided by FIRST Headquarters, if needed